All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RRB Benefits?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 pm 

I've noticed some talk about the Railroad Retirement Board, but have little knowledge about the program. Does anybody know what kind of benefits they offer, and who they are available to?

Post subject: Re: RRB Benefits?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:54 am 

I think you can only get Railroad Medicare if you worked for the railroad industry. I think this plan goes back to the old days when the government made an agreement with the railroad companies who were building our country's transportation infrastructure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 pm 

Railroad Retirement Benefits provide benefits to disabled railroad workers and provide the children and or parents of a deceased railroad worker benefits. The railroad workers spouse will also receive annuities if the worker has put in at least ten years of service, however if the couple divorce then the spouse will stop receiving the benefits. In order to receive benefits you have to reach retirement age of 65 or 60 with at least 30 years of service.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:42 pm 

Wow! I feel like I just got a nice little history lesson along with the answer to my question :) Thanks for clearing that up for me!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:14 pm 

Yeah it dates back a while but it looks like a pretty nice benefit if you are or were in the railroad industry. I had a grandpa that was in the railroad industry so I know a little bit about it :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 am 

That was an extremely informative answer DaisyG and much appreciated. Here is a link to some other information I found about the railroad benefits as well. http://www.rrb.gov/mep/ben_info.asp