All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NURSING HOME QUESTION
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm 

MY WIFE HAS CONGESTIVE HEART DISEASE AND IS ON HOSPICE. SHE IS STILL LIVING AT HOME WITH ME, BUT I HAVE A HARD TIME CAREING FOR HER SEEING AS HOW I AM NOT HEALTHY EITHER WITH ARTHRITIS AND DIABETES. MY SON THINKS WE SHOULD MOVE HER INTO A NURSING HOME TO KEEP ME HEALTHY AND TO GET HER GOOD CARE. I HAVE NEVER LIKED NURSING HOMES AND CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY FOR ONE. SHE HAS MEDICARE AND MEDICAID AS SECONDARY.

Post subject: Re: NURSING HOME QUESTION
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 pm 

Hello yankeedoodle!

It's so sad to hear that your wife is currently suffering such disease. Your wife really requires constant nursing care based on her situation right now. Honestly speaking, the cost of nursing home is almost $5,000 per month. That's a big amount of money for me. My suggestion is to ask help in nursing agencies. The can provide private nurse for your wife at least the nurse can stay and work with patients in their own homes. Try it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am 

I live in a smaller town and my grandfather has been in a nursing home for quite some time now. There are really only 3 choices of nursing homes in the my town and he is in the best facility here. I still don't think that this is a good place for him but it is the best that there is here and yes it is still very expensive, sometimes there are no good answers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm 

Have you and your wife ever thought of a retirement facility? I know places like American House will let you and your wife stay in the same room together. It's not like a nursing home but a small apartment where you have nurses and aides come by and check on you or if you need help with your wife they will come by from time to time to care for her throughout the day. This may be what you are looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:42 pm 

Is the hospice care being covered by medicare? If so there is a good chance that they will increase it once she is too bad to remain home, and pay for her to be in a real hospice facility.