All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad nursing home
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:09 am 

My mother is in a nursing home in the area and I and some others who have loved ones in the facility are concerned about the level of care the residents are receiving. This is the only home in the county that accepts medicare patients. Whom can we call to complain about the conditions or is it just a matter for the local health department?

Post subject: Re: Bad nursing home
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:24 pm 

Well, I think that I would try to start at the root of the problem. I would talk administration at the location itself. Have you tried this yet, sometimes this will get you no where but sometimes you just need to bring these things to the right persons attention.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:52 pm 

I would look into what the regulations are governing nursing homes in your state as it does vary from state to state. Whatever the board is called that sets the regulation is where you would complain to if those regulations are not being met. The rules cover what is considered a minimum level of care provided and they must investigate if a complaint is made against the home. I know at least some keep the complaint confidential but I'm not sure they all do so you may want to ask before giving your name.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:01 pm 

Have you seen signs of actual neglect or abuse at the facility? If so, each state has an elder abuse hotline just like the child abuse hotlines. That needs to be reported right away whether it's your loved one or someone else's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 pm 

If you are suspecting that there is abuse going on in the facility you should contact the NCEA (National Center on Elder Abuse) at 1-800-677-1116 or go to their website at http://www.ncea.aoa.gov/ncearoot/Main_Site/index.aspx. If someone is in immediate danger, then you should call 911.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:19 pm 

I would contact the director of the facility and let them know what is going on. More than likely the administrator may not know what is going on and it is up to the loved one's to help report these issues. If the administrator does not help you, only then would I contact the Elder Abuse hotline and report the facility.