All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a Medigap Plan?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:01 am 

I have never heard of a Medigap plan? Is it another version of Medicare or Medicaid? Or is it a plan to help fill in the gaps that aren't normally covered with one of the other plans?

Post subject: Re: What is a Medigap Plan?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:43 am 

Bingo - it will cover the gaps in your regular Medicare plan. Medigap coverage is through a private insurer and the plans will vary in what they cover so you'll need to check with the insurance companies. Prices vary, as well, so it doesn't hurt to compare more than one company's plans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:28 pm 

Thank you very much! So, am I correct in assuming that Medigap is not funded Federally and we have to pay for it ourselves? How do we even find a Medigap company, if they are privately owned?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 pm 

Most of the major insurance companies offer one or more types of Medigap plans. They vary in what is covered and the costs from plan to plan and from company to company. You should talk to a few different companies and compare their plans before picking one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 pm 

Reviewing them online was very useful for me. I was able to find a chart that compared them all, and the differences in coverage for price, with what you are left responsible for is quite shocking between the best and the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:19 pm 

It is worth mentioning that there are 12 different Medigap policies from which you can select.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:04 pm 

JessieJames wrote:
Reviewing them online was very useful for me. I was able to find a chart that compared them all, and the differences in coverage for price, with what you are left responsible for is quite shocking between the best and the worst.

Do you happen to remember where you found this chart? I would be interested to see it so I could compare some of the plans myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:11 pm 

I have a really good Medigap plan but it is rather pricey. But I wind up not having any bills for most everything. It is rare indeed that I get a bill for anything that Medicare and my Medigap policy hasn't paid for. I am reluctant to change but the price is getting pretty high. I may have to review it and change after all this time, but I really don't think I can get anything comprable for any less though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 pm 

sheilam wrote:
JessieJames wrote:

Do you happen to remember where you found this chart? I would be interested to see it so I could compare some of the plans myself.

I found a good chart at:
http://www.medicarerights.org/medigap_a-j.html