All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are these worth the price?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:51 am 

I am fast approaching retirement and will be dealing with Social Security and Medicare coverage in the next year. I have had gap coverage offered to me it seems like everywhere but especially at my pharmacy. Are these types of coverage worth the price? Will they cover whatever costs that Medicare doesn't or is it limited coverage? I need to have a plan to deal with this issue as I am on several very expensive medications for high blood pressure and diabetes.

Post subject: Re: Are these worth the price?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 pm 

They definitely can be worth the price but you must be careful to choose the right plan for you and to compare costs. There are quite a few plans available with varying coverage and varying premiums. First, you must have Medicare Part A and Part B in order to be able to get a Medigap policy. Which policy will be right for you is best discussed with your insurance broker as much of it depends on your particular health situation and where you are most likely to encounter difficulties in coverage gaps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:57 pm 

It's going to work out great for me next year. I recently moved from Ohio to Florida and I have had to pay 20% ever since I moved. Now I won't have to pay for the 20% and for me that's great. I have a lot of health issues and am constantly going to the doctor. The cost of the Medigap plan will be much less than the 20% of the cost of going to the doctor and hospital bills. I'll come out ahead at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:37 pm 

Really you never know what is going to hit you next. I have lost out money on health insurance coverage in the past because it didn't get used but how would I have felt if I had a big bill come in that I couldn't cover? I think its invaluable myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 pm 

In your case, since you are already dealing with a serious medical issue, I would say that a Medigap plan would be a necessity. One never knows what else could develop along with the high blood pressure down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm 

I think that many people weigh there options with this type of coverage based on price, but if you need this coverage then there should not be a choice at all. You need to have it, so get it, but that doesn't mean you have to be happy about how much it costs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:58 pm 

Oh, I couldn't do without it. It's easier for me to pay a little every month than to worry about paying the 20% of everything that I do. I go to the doctor a lot and my Medigap plan takes care of everything. I know it's kind of expensive but at least I know that my bills will be paid and I don't have to worry about trying to pay a lot of little bills!