All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Much Do Prescriptions Cost on Medicare Part D?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:56 pm 

I'm trying to get my grandfather's medicare up to date to make sure he's covered for everything he needs. Right now, he's having to get a reverse mortgage on his house because he pays $1100 a month in prescriptions plus has to buy groceries, household necessities and utilities. He only makes $1800 a month from social security. It's killing him. I think I can help cut down his expenses if I get him signed up on Medicare Part D. How much will his prescriptions be under the plan?

Post subject: Re: How Much Do Prescriptions Cost on Medicare Part D?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:07 pm 

I think if he is on Medicare he has to have part D coverage. As far as I know, you have to sign up for a plan before you will know what his price per prescription will be. A lot of plans have the tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 drugs the same. But some will have a lower copay than others. It just depends what plan you purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:48 pm 

You can contact a local Senior Center and they should have the name of an agency that at this time of the year is helping everyone on Medicare to find the best plan for them. There is a computer program that they can use to figure this up, or you can look in the back of his Medicare 2009 handbook that he will receive to find the best one for him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm 

I found one that has the tier 1 drugs for only $2 each. But then I take a bunch of medicines and the premium is OK for me. It works out to be cheaper to pay a higher premium to get a lower copay for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm 

Isn't there a yearly deductible for the Medicare Part D prescriptions? I work for a third party benefits administrator and talk with a lot of retirees. I remember learning about a deductible, and I don't think it's alot. However, it's something to consider.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:14 pm 

Copays as well as the covered drugs on the formulary list can change from plan to plan. It is a good idea to check with the local senior centers as they often have experts who can help you who are familiar with your specific area.