All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this necessary if you rarely use medications?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:02 am 

I know someone who is one of those lucky people that is healthy as a horse. She has only needed a prescription once in the past five years which was an antibiotic. She asked me if she needs a part D plan since it didn't seem worth it to her as she has never exceeded the normal deductible expense of $250. I don't think she needs this and I know she really can't afford the premiums but will she be able to enroll in a drug plan later if she should develop a need?

Post subject: Re: Is this necessary if you rarely use medications?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm 

I am not sure about being able to enroll later but I agree with you that it doesn't seem to be worth the exspense in her case. I guess worst case scenario she would have to wait for the next enrollment period. What a very lucky lady that she has no need for exspensive medications.

Post subject: Re: Is this necessary if you rarely use medications?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:09 am 

If you don't get the Medicare part D plan when it is first offered to you, you will pay what they call a late enrollment penalty. Plus, if you don't have it and need it you will not be able to enroll until the next open enrollment period, plus have to pay the late enrollment penalty plus pay for whatever medication you have to have. It's not worth it to try to do without it. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.