All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Medicare Part C?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 pm 

I've been assigned as the custodian for my grandfather so I'm responsible now for learning all about Medicare and his benefits. I've just learned about Part B and I've heard of Part D drug plan, but I had never heard of Medicare Part C until I saw this forum. What is it and do I need to make sure he is enrolled in it?

Post subject: Re: What is Medicare Part C?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:13 am 

Medicare part C is the plans that you pay for to a private insurance company that will sub for Medicare such as a Health Maintainence Program (HMO) or a Personal Provider Organization (PPO) (at least I think that's what that stands for). My cousin who lived in Ohio was on one of these plans and she got her hospital, doctor, durable medical equipment and drug plan covered by one of these plans. The only catch is that she had to go to specific doctors or hospitals. It was a pretty sweet deal at the time and she really liked it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:45 pm 

Medicare Part C plans are provided by private insurance companies through what are known as Medicare Advantage plans. The main advantages of Part C are cost and broader coverage compared to traditional Part A and B policies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:21 pm 

Is this like a traditional Medicare where you have to be a certain age? Also, can you use this with a separate insurance like Blue Cross? Are there any co-pays? This plan seems overwhelming to me and I want to make sure I have all the information in ways that I can understand them. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 pm 

You have to be eligible for Medicare in order to get one of these plans. You can't use another insurance with them as far as I know. They usually provide much more coverage that traditional Medicare but you have to use their doctors and facilities in order to be covered. The government contracts with separate insurance companies who have these plans available and they have to cover at least what Medicare would have covered. They usually wind up covering much more than that though. I think this is right. If it's not, please someone correct me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm 

Dwayne wrote:
You have to be eligible for Medicare in order to get one of these plans. You can't use another insurance with them as far as I know. They usually provide much more coverage that traditional Medicare but you have to use their doctors and facilities in order to be covered. The government contracts with separate insurance companies who have these plans available and they have to cover at least what Medicare would have covered. They usually wind up covering much more than that though. I think this is right. If it's not, please someone correct me.

I think that's right, Dwayne. At least that's the way it was described to me anyway. I would like to have one of these plans as they are cheaper usually, but there aren't any available where I live.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:38 am 

In most cases, Part C is a lower-cost alternative to the Original Medicare Plan, and providers usually offer extra benefits and include prescription drug coverage Part D. Part C plans often have networks, and you must use the doctors or hospitals that belong to the plan.