All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why the difference?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 am 

Medicare will purchase and oxygen concentrator but won't pay for dental work or hearing aids?

Why is there a difference?

Post subject: Re: Why the difference?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:40 pm 

I think it's probably because oxygen is necessary for continued survival, hearing aids and dental work are not necessary. Unless you buy separate policies from private insurance companies most traditional medical plans outside of Medicare don't cover hearing aids or dental work. Medicare will cover some dental work if it is necessary for certain illnesses. You have to check. But they will not cover dentures after the teeth are pulled in these cases.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:39 pm 

I may be going against the grain for a lot of people but I'd like to see a national health plan even if we do have to pay higher taxes. I think it would be worth it to see all of the little children and people who are too poor to buy insurance but still not poor enough for medical cards. I think I was just born in the wrong country, but I love this country. I just want to see it improve and take care of all of the citizens regardless of what their financial status may be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 pm 

Daniel wrote:
I may be going against the grain for a lot of people but I'd like to see a national health plan even if we do have to pay higher taxes. I think it would be worth it to see all of the little children and people who are too poor to buy insurance but still not poor enough for medical cards. I think I was just born in the wrong country, but I love this country. I just want to see it improve and take care of all of the citizens regardless of what their financial status may be.

I agree Daniel. I think that we as one of the world leaders are way behind a lot of other civilized nations in the care of our elderly, poor, children and homeless. I would also like to see a national health plan and would gladly pay more taxes to see it happen. Things would be so much more simple. I think we are judged by other countries as heartless and behind times because of it. I heard somewhere that a nation is judged by how they take care of those who can't care for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:14 pm 

Well unfortunately any coverage like this cannot cover everything. There is no rhyme or reason to some of the coverage loopholes I have seen, but I am sure that it makes since to somebody.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm 

The laws were set up so long ago that they don't keep up with things in some ways. Other things that are left out seem to make no sense. Hopefully they will overhaul at least some of these coverage issues in the next few years. Then again, where are the funds going to come from in order to cover new things?