All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are hearing aids not covered by MEdicare?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:25 pm 

Why are hearing aids not covered by MEdicare? Is deafness not a medical condition?

Post subject: Re: Why are hearing aids not covered by MEdicare?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hearing aids are nto covered by Medicare by reason that it was stated by law. If our Congress would pass a law for it to be covered, that's the only time for it to be covered. The same goes for eyeglasses and dental care.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm 

sheyanne wrote:
Hearing aids are nto covered by Medicare by reason that it was stated by law. If our Congress would pass a law for it to be covered, that's the only time for it to be covered. The same goes for eyeglasses and dental care.

So....

it sounds like you we need to start canvassing neighborhoods and writing Obama and other Dems to get this looked at!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:32 pm 

I don't understand this either. I guess they don't expect us older folks to hear, to see, or to chew. I agree with the canvassing the neighborhood but also start a campaign of calling your local Congressional members to give your opinion. AARP is always up for ideas to help seniors so maybe we also need to give them a call.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:42 pm 

I don't see how this is any different than any other durable medical equipment. It is just as necessary, and even comes down to being a safety issue ultimately.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:14 pm 

I don't understand why these things are not covered and it's not right. Medicaid will pay for some of this given the right circumstances but you would have to check with them. There are organizations that can help with hearing aids and glasses but I don't know of any that help with dentures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:02 am 

Ah, now we're getting into comprehensive medical care by the government. Total care would mean we would be getting into universal health care like England has. We would have to increase taxes to pay for all of it and then every senior would have adequate health care and we wouldn't want that would we (I am being sarcastic if you can't tell). I just watched the movie "Sicko" from Michael Moore and I know he exaggerates but he does make some valid points too. As one of the "super power" countries in the world, I think it is a shame that other countries can provide health care for it's citizens free of charge and we can't even manage to take care of children and seniors adequately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:09 pm 

I have seen that movie Craig S and he may exaggerate some but the movie is an inspiration as to what we could have as opposed to what we do have. I think it's ridiculous to expect seniors most of whom are on a fixed income to come up with the money for hearing aids, dentures, and glasses. What kind of society are we that we don't want our elders to be able to see, hear, or eat?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 am 

CraigS wrote:
Ah, now we're getting into comprehensive medical care by the government. Total care would mean we would be getting into universal health care like England has. We would have to increase taxes to pay for all of it and then every senior would have adequate health care and we wouldn't want that would we (I am being sarcastic if you can't tell). I just watched the movie "Sicko" from Michael Moore and I know he exaggerates but he does make some valid points too. As one of the "super power" countries in the world, I think it is a shame that other countries can provide health care for it's citizens free of charge and we can't even manage to take care of children and seniors adequately.

I agree with you one million percent Craig. Very sad that we send so much money, health care, and aid to other countries and yet we can't make sure our own citizens are well cared for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 pm 

I've seen that docudrama too and if I didn't have a lot of relatives here in the States, I'd move to England. Seems to me like they have a much easier time of it as far as medical care is concerned. Still, I couldn't leave my country for anything I guess. But it is darned tempting sometimes.