All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Would Someone Not Want Part B?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 pm 

When I started on Medicare I wasn't asked if I wanted Part A or Part B or both, I was just started on both at the same time. I didn't know that you had a choice whether to take one or the other. Why would someone want Part A and not take Part B. It seems like you would want the whole package or none.

Post subject: Re: Why Would Someone Not Want Part B?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:35 pm 

I think that Medicare Part A is free for most people, while you have to make a monthly payment for Part B in most cases. While the payment may be low and very worth it in most people's eyes, perhaps some just don't feel they have the money or that it isn't. I think most people do go ahead and enroll in Part B as well, though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 pm 

Some people have this coverage from another source and so it would be a waste of money to purchase it again. Often, they may have it under a spouse who is still working or in some cases, through a retirement package from their work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:11 pm 

Often private insurance has better coverage, as well, so when it's an option most people will go for the private medical insurance instead. It just depends on what is available to you, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 pm 

I never worked for an employer who had good enough retirement benefits that I could have insurance after I retired. It would be nice to have private insurance free or at a reduced cost but Medicare has taken care of my bills so far.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:44 am 

I think that if you are on a fixed income and you have to pay the premium for Part B than that could be a reason why someone would not want this plan, but there are steps that you can take to see if you qualify for help for paying for those premiums.