All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Curious
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:30 pm 

Has anyone come upon a hospital that doesn't accept Medicare. Is there such a place in the US? I was just curious. All our local hospitals take Medicare and we don't have any trouble so far with admissions.

Post subject: Re: Just Curious
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm 

I don't know if a hospital can refuse to take Medicare. But I guess if they are a private self pay hospital they can do as they please. I just haven't come upon any that don't take Medicare. I have come upon doctors that don't take Medicare anymore because of all the cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:31 am 

I am sure that there are hospital's that do not but I would think that they are few and far between. I think that most hospitals do accept this coverage, as it brings them a lot of business that they would otherwise not get and after all a hospital is just another business.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:48 pm 

Yes, I have come upon many doctors now that refuse to take Medicare. They state that the payment does not even cover the cost of the operation of the office let alone the supplies used and the time involved in seeing the person with Medicare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:04 pm 

I have never heard of a hospital not taking Medicare. I suppose there may be those hospital’s that may refuse to take Medicare, but like oldtimer said they are probably few and far between.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

CraigS wrote:
Yes, I have come upon many doctors now that refuse to take Medicare. They state that the payment does not even cover the cost of the operation of the office let alone the supplies used and the time involved in seeing the person with Medicare.

Wow, that's a little worrisome! I mean, you seem to be referring to specific doctors and not hospitals, per se, but the fact that Medicare would be providing such meager coverage as to put doctors off to the point of refusing Medicare seems like an issue that could grow into a much bigger problem eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18 pm 

My wife had to change the woman's doctor that she was seeing. She had an abnormal pap smear and they had referred her to this doctor but when she went back for her third visit the office said they no longer accepted Medicare and stated they didn't pay enough. We had to ask that they refer her to another GYN doctor and they did and they were kind enough to send her records to the new one but it did bother me at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36 pm 

I have also heard of several doctors and clinics in the area that will not accept medicare patients or if they have in the past will no longer accept any new medicare patients. I haven't heard of any hospitals that would not accept medicare patients although if they are out there I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 am 

I've never heard of hospitals not accepting Medicare but I have heard of private practice clinics that will not accept Medicare. I'm not sure it would be legal for a hospital to turn you away because you have Medicare but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 pm 

I know if you come in as an emergency patient in unstable condition, they have to stabilize you before they can transfer you out. That's the law and I've seen it posted on several of those Medicare posters they hang up in the hospital emergency room area.