All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medicare Part A and Scooters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:00 am 

Hello,

My grandfather is 77 and has Medicare. On his card, it says hospital part A. He really needs a power scooter. I called a local medical equipment supply and they told me he needs part b to qualify. Is this correct?

Thanks.

George Hearst

Post subject: Re: Medicare Part A and Scooters
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm 

Hi George,

Unfortunately, it is also my understanding that your father would have to be enrolled in Medicare Part B to qualify for a scooter or electric wheelchair from Medicare. One tip though is to consider Medicaid (if you father has it as a supplement to Medicare). My Grandfather only had Medicare Part A but he also had Medicaid which acted as his supplmeental coverage. The Medicaid program in my state bought him a used electric wheelchair.

I also know a friend who got a free scooter from a program called the Gift of Mobility. I think it is run by Hover Round. I'm sorry I don't have a link, but you might look for it on Google.

Good luck!

Jason

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:02 pm 

Hi again George,

I was wrong earlier. It is the Scooter Store (as seen on TV) that has the Gift of Mobility Program. I would call them an ask if I was you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 pm 

Thank you Jason for that info. I will look into the Gift program. My granddad has Tricare and no medicaid.

Last edited by tedsdad on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:12 am 

George,

If your Dad has Tricare he may still yet be eligible for a scooter or electric wheelchair. One of our church elders got a Hoveround from Tricare (I think). If I remember correctly, he also got a lift for his car to transport it. You should really call Tricare or one of the big scooter companies (the scooter store or hoveround) and ask about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:39 am 

I have heard of the program from Hover Round only because of their commercials. Unfortunately, it is correct that you need to have Medicare Part B in order to have this covered. A friend of mine has severe gout in one leg and has a very difficult time getting around most of the time but she has been unable to get a scooter as she only has Part A, too. I'm glad that I found this post because now I have a couple of places that she can try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 pm 

I think that's right. If I'm not mistaken, I think part A is just for hospitalization. Part B is for durable medical equipment which is what the scooter would fall under, I think. So he would have to have part B to qualify.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

Maggie wrote:
I think that's right. If I'm not mistaken, I think part A is just for hospitalization. Part B is for durable medical equipment which is what the scooter would fall under, I think. So he would have to have part B to qualify.

I think you're right.