All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does Medicare Cover Funeral Expenses?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 pm 

My good friend's husband is terminally ill. The doctors say he's only got a month or so left. She's really strapped for cash considering all the money she has spent on his care. She could not afford to continue paying life insurance premiums so she's got nothing coming when he dies. Someone at my church told me that Medicare will help with funeral costs or maybe cremation costs. Is this true?

Post subject: Re: Does Medicare Cover Funeral Expenses?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:47 pm 

My grandma passed away in January so I know a little bit about this from my mom. This is what she has told me about Medicare death benefits. I hope it helps answer your question. Medicare does pay out death benefits to family members when a Medicare beneficiary dies. This will depend on whether or not the doctor and hospital services have been paid for. If the person's medical expenses were paid by the deceased persons estate then the Medicare benefits will be paid to that persons estate. If the medical care was paid by someone other than the deceased then the money will go to that person.
If the medical bills were not paid then Medicare sends the payment to the person who is responsible for the deceased persons bills. You also have to inform Medicare that the Medicare beneficiary has died and get a copy of the death certificate for Medicare.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm 

Good to know. I think that the amount paid is not very much though, am I right? I don't think they will pay enough to even bury a person, but it would be a part of the funeral expense. Hopefully, I will not have to investigate this anytime soon. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:42 pm 

Wow that sounds like a lot of paper work just to get what is rightfully yours. I don't blame them though, I am sure that this can be a large payout if they do not make sure that it is not being abused.