All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will coverage be expanded?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 pm 

I have seen some interesting things, like gastric bypass surgery, that are covered by Medicare, but that private insurance companies often relegate to elective surgeries and excluded form private insurance policies.

Do you think we will see Medicare adding things like glasses, hearing aids, and other items with private insurance companies being required to cover things like gastric bypass surgeries?

Post subject: Re: Will coverage be expanded?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:39 am 

I would like to see Medicare cover more of the services we really do need like dentures, glasses and hearing aids. Gastric bypass surgery isn't always an elective procedure - I knew someone who's insurance company covered it because her doctor convinced them that it was medically necessary due to a heart condition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 pm 

daisymae wrote:
I would like to see Medicare cover more of the services we really do need like dentures, glasses and hearing aids. Gastric bypass surgery isn't always an elective procedure - I knew someone who's insurance company covered it because her doctor convinced them that it was medically necessary due to a heart condition.

I agree. It seems that Medicare is a bit backwards on what it will cover. YOu raise a good point, though, with how doctors justify treatments.

Do you think patients need to push doctors to use wording that will make approval of procedures, and appliances like dentures, more likely?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm 

I don't think any type of rewording will make Medicare change it's stance on dentures or eyeglasses. What is needed is a rewording of the laws governing what Medicare will cover. Unfortunately, it ultimately comes down to what can be provided with the funds that they have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:55 pm 

I don't see any expansion happening at least for a few more years. I believe Obama wants to help with the healthcare system in this country and I would assume that would include revamping Medicare and Medicaid programs. With the crisis the country is in right now though, I don't believe we can afford to expand the options right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:58 am 

I think Obama will go a long way towards making medicare better so that they do cover more services. As some of the others said though the process could take years before any real results are seen.