All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you report fraudulent charges?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:27 pm 

I noticed several things on a recent hospital bill that are not services that I actually received. For instance, there are charges for three doctors when I only actually was seen by one. Also, there are procedures listed that I didn't have done. These were billed and paid for by Medicare already but I know someone padded the bill. I called the hospital billing department and was basically told not to worry about it since Medicare covered it but it bothers me that someone is ripping off the system. Who would I report this to?

Post subject: Re: Can you report fraudulent charges?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:03 am 

If your physician, provider, or supplier’s office does not help you with the questions or concerns about items listed on your Medicare Summary Notice and you still suspect Medicare fraud or if you cannot call them, you should call or write the Medicare company that paid the claim.

Post subject: Re: Can you report fraudulent charges?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:06 pm 

I recently had an issue with one of my bills. I called Medicare first and asked them what I should do. They had me call the hospital and have the hospital fix the error and resend the bill to Medicare. I'm not sure if they would do this all the time but that is how they handled my bill.