All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medicare Fraud
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what do you do if you find that one of your health care providers is billing for services that you haven't gotten. I would probably call the provider first to see what it was and if it was a mistake. Is this the right thing to do? Or should I contact Medicare first?

Post subject: Re: Medicare Fraud
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 am 

I would call the health care provider, then medicare number too. I had this happen with my private insurance in the past, and if you start questioning the hospital or doctor they just give you the run around. I told my insurance that I was unsure about the charges, that I knew I hadn't had whatever oral drugs they had claimed, and sure enough a revised statement was issued.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 pm 

I would give the benefit of the doubt to the provider. I really believe that most overcharges and errors are just due to mistakes, not real fraud. If the provider continues to insist or say anything "off" then report them to Medicare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:06 am 

You should first call your doctor and tell them that you never had the service that you were billed for and then if they don't remove the charge, call Medicare and let them know. If we don't keep an eye on things these people will get away with fraud.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:27 pm 

I think I'd contact both the provider and Medicare, just so that everyone is in the know and there is less likely to be finger-pointing and run-arounds with everyone involved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm 

There is a place on the Medicare website that tells you the phone number to contact a Medicare Ombudsman. They will help you with any inquiries or problems you have. I have called them before and they are very helpful. They have suggestions and can start an investigation for you if necessary.