All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oxygen equipment question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm 

My neighbor has just had to get oxygen supplied to her house due to a worsening of her COPD symptoms. After twice ending up in the emergency room due to lack of oxygen, her doctor wants her to have it on for several hours during the day and I think while asleep. Anyway, she was fretting to me about taking care of the equipment and the oxygen machine by her bed. Am I correct in telling her that the supplier is responsible for maintaining the equipment?

Post subject: Re: Oxygen equipment question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 am 

I'm pretty sure that the supplier is responsible for maintenance and any charges they need to incur are covered by Medicare. If she's renting, then Medicare will pay for 36 months of rent, after which the supplier must provide equipment and services as long as medically necessary, and Medicare will pay for the oxygen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:59 pm 

So that means that after 36 months of equipment rental, the supplier must eat the additional costs and only get paid for the oxygen? Wow, that must be a very unpopular thing among oxygen suppliers. My neighbor is very likely going to need the service for the rest of her life and she's only 67 now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm 

I thought it was odd, too, when I heard it. My only conclusion was that after 3 years of rent, I guess Medicare considers the equipment "paid for," but that doesn't mean that the maintenance is paid for. The switch from paying for maintenance to paying for the oxygen instead raised an eyebrow, too...but then again, which is more expensive? If the oxygen is, I guess they were just trying to do the "most right" thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:49 pm 

Actually I think that maintenance would be considered a part of it. Replacement parts would still have to be paid for, and 'oxygen' would cover the filling and ensuring of safety of the equipment. They wouldn't be losing out, they couldn't afford to continue if they did.

All it means is that the tank and valves and so far are no longer rented.