All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware Of Medicare Advantage Plans...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:45 pm 

...If you're thinking of moving or staying in another part of the country for any length of time. If you have a Medicare advantage plan in one state you may not be able to use it out of network. Check before you migrate or stay in another state for any length of time.

Post subject: Re: Beware Of Medicare Advantage Plans...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 pm 

Tell me about it. I moved from Ohio to Florida and wound up having to switch to a plan that doesn't pay anything mid year. In Ohio I was in a Medicare Advantage plan that paid for everything including drugs. When I moved to Florida, I pretty much was stuck into a plan and it doesn't pay as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:52 pm 

I had a certain well advertised, well respected plan that was supposed to cover everything and it didn't do well at all. I would up with a bunch of hospital and procedure bills that I'm still paying on. I just don't understand how they can market this to people and it isn't what it says it is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 am 

I find it interesting how difficult insurance companies can make Advantage plans to understand. Medicare puts out all kinds of very informative and clear brochures and packets to help explain coverage, whereas with Advantage plans you often have to seek out information and know what questions to ask. I'm sure many feel that the "Advantage" isn't worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:46 pm 

Man, it seems like you can't move or change a phone number these days with out every thing going all hay wire. I think that you might as well just stay where your at when it comes to moving policies with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:51 am 

If you are travelling and just staying out of state for a couple of months, could you have your meds mailed to a friend? Or some similar set up, have them sent to your home still and have a friend mail them on to you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 pm 

I don't see why not George. How would they know whether it was you picking up the meds at your house or someone else? I know a lot of insurance companies are encouraging the use of mail order pharmaceutical companies anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:33 am 

But then if you did something like this and they found out, what would be the consequences of it? Do you risk losing your coverage completely?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 am 

I was going to say that mailing the meds to a friend might not be so easy or smart. I don't know how easily they are able to check up on it, but I think that with the care they have to take to make sure that you aren't getting meds for someone else it would raise an eyebrow. Having a friend mail them to you from home "would" be a better idea, except that I've had friends have their mailed meds confiscated because apparently you have to have special permission to mail meds. If you absolutely need your medication, I don't think I'd risk it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:23 pm 

Yes, it does seem rather a big risk to take. It seems a huge inconvenience to go through if you are only going to be travelling for a short period of time.