All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are Medicare Advantage Plans Risky?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:08 pm 

One of my Sunday school classmates recently signed up for a replacement Medicare plan. She said she no longer uses Medicare but gets better benefits from another company. This sounds risky to me. Anyone have any experiences to share about these kinds of plans?

Post subject: Re: Are Medicare Advantage Plans Risky?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:54 pm 

gloriamatheson wrote:
One of my Sunday school classmates recently signed up for a replacement Medicare plan. She said she no longer uses Medicare but gets better benefits from another company. This sounds risky to me. Anyone have any experiences to share about these kinds of plans?

Whats the name of the company that is selling the plan? I would be kinda nervous so make sure you do some research.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 pm 

most plans are having problems getting accepted by doctors. For one these plans pay doctors less, and it takes a longer time for them to get paid too. In contrast, medicare is accepted by almost every doctor and every health care institutions. Doctors have long trusted this and knows that they will get paid by Medicare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 pm 

I don't like them, but that's just me. A lot of people have them and don't have problems with them. But you have to stay within their network and lots of times you may have to travel a great distance to see one of their doctors and their preferred hospital my not be in your town. Make sure you check it out extrememly well before you take a chance (or your friend takes a chance). Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:27 pm 

CraigS wrote:
I don't like them, but that's just me. A lot of people have them and don't have problems with them. But you have to stay within their network and lots of times you may have to travel a great distance to see one of their doctors and their preferred hospital my not be in your town. Make sure you check it out extrememly well before you take a chance (or your friend takes a chance). Good luck!

Yup, I've heard of this too. And there is a problem that the insurance company won't have enough acceptance in some states while enjoying a good acceptance rate in one state.