All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hospital Beds with Air Cushion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:11 pm 

I've posted a couple of questions relating to my best friend's husband who is dying of lung cancer. He is totally bed bound now and can't do much at all. Their next door neighbor has to come over to help him turn over in bed and switch positions. I've heard that there are beds with air mattresses that can help him adjust positions in bed without having to be physically moved each time. My friend is simply not strong enough to do it on her own even though he only weighs about 100lbs now. I wonder if this is something she can request through her doctor and have medicare pay for it.

Post subject: Re: Hospital Beds with Air Cushion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:02 pm 

Under the Medicare Plan B is an area about durable medical equipment. They help cover the cost of things like manual wheelchairs, oxygen equipment, scooters, hospital beds, air mattresses, and walkers. You have to have special coverage in order for your plan to help pay for these items. In order to find out if you are eligible to get these items through your plan you would have to contact Medicare.

Post subject: Re: Hospital Beds with Air Cushion
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 pm 

You may be able to call the local durable medical equipment provider too. A lot of times the people in the office will be able to tell you what is and what isn't covered under Medicare rules and regs. They would also be able to tell you what documentation you need for your doctor to submit to them in order for them to get it covered.