All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does Medicare cover....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 pm 

....urinary incontinence products? This is kind of embarrasing but I need pads and things for some leaking (I had several bad childbirths and was injured beyond repair). I was just wondering if the products are covered if they are prescribed by a physician. These products take up a great deal of my budget and I can't cut down on them.

Post subject: Re: Does Medicare cover....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:56 am 

Medicare covers catheters and such things but I don't believe they cover pads or anything like that. To check what coverage is available in your state, go to http://www.medicare.gov/Coverage/Home.asp and do a search for urological supplies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:00 am 

You might want to apply for Medicaid. Their coverage also varies from state to state but quite often they will cover the pads and supplies that Medicare does not cover when we have some urinary continence issues. There are also medication that can help which would most likely be covered by Medicare but you'll need to discuss that with your doctor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:58 pm 

If all else fails you may want to check with your local hospice or Salvation Army store. Sometimes when someone has passed away the family will donate their supplies back to the hospice or to a Salvation Army or Goodwill store. You could get some supplies cheap or free if they have them and I know hospice doesn't care to donate to someone with limited income.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:46 am 

The other thing to consider would be is there a cloth alternative that you could use? Something reusable, and so in the long run would be cheaper. I use pads myself, just cloth ones for my own issues.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:01 pm 

That's a wonderful idea GeorgeS! I wonder if there is somewhere I can get waterproof cloth? I could sew my own that way and save some money. I like one certain type that is more comfortable for me and I would be pleased to make my own.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:18 am 

If making your own does not work out for you you may want to consider buying in bulk like at a membership warehouse (Sam's club, BJ's) or looking around your area for a discount retailer. In my area there is a store that sells items that were damaged by shipping except for the items aren't damaged just the boxes got beat up in transport. They have diapers for adults and kids and they are WAY cheaper than regular retailers.