All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheelchairs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:49 am 

If you need a wheelchair on medicare, do you get the most basic, bog standard one there is? Or is your provider allowed to prescribe one that actually suits your needs, that won't leave you with sores if you are in it a lot and so on?

Or does that then come down to an assessment of your needs and usage?

Post subject: Re: Wheelchairs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:33 pm 

You must meet certain conditions to qualify for a power wheelchair or scooter through Medicare. If you must have a health condition where you need help with activities of daily living. This may be things like bathing, dressing, getting in or out of the bed or chair, moving around, and using the bathroom. If you are unable to operate a manual wheelchair you may qualify for a power wheel chair. If you have had a face-to-face exam and received an order for the equipment from your doctor. Bottom line, make sure you qualify for a power chair before placing your order for one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:40 pm 

I don't think that is what the OP means. Just for a push wheel chair, not a power chair. If you need something other than the standard hospital type chair can you get one? Like with cushions or pads to stop the equivalent of getting bed sores.

I would imagine that you can get whatever your health care provider says that you must have.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:04 pm 

I would think that you would get what you qualify for. It would make good business sense to try to prevent illness such as a bed/chair sore would produce and get what is necessary to prevent it. But then again, I never did accuse the government of having good business sense. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:22 am 

LOL at Maggie :D ! I believe that you can get what ever the physician writes a prescription for. Much the same way standard insurance works if you break your leg and have to have a prescription for crutches or a wheelchair.