All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medicare or Medicaid?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:57 am 

These plans sound so similar. What are the most prominent differences between these two types of state funded medical plans? Are the qualifications different for each one? Can you have both at the same time?

Post subject: Re: Medicare or Medicaid?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 am 

Both are actually federal although Medicaid is managed by the individual states. Medicare is something that you have paid into through all the years that you have worked and basic Medicare coverage is given automatically at age 65 and in certain other circumstances. Medicaid is not dependent on prior earnings and is for those with low incomes who cannot afford to buy other forms of insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:17 pm 

I noticed that Brandon missed one of your questions. Yes, you can have both Medicare and Medicaid at the same time. Medicare would be billed first and the remainder of costs would then be picked up by Medicaid. Some covered services may be covered under one and not the other so the two may not still cover all of your expenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:31 pm 

Wow, thank you both for your very informative answers. I still have a lot of learning to do when it comes to federal and state plans. With a limited income, I need to know what my options are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:59 pm 

Medicare is the better coverage, in my opinion, because most doctors will take it. Medicaid programs often pay so much less that a lot of doctors won't use it so your choice in care becomes much more limited.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 pm 

It seems to me that medicaid is aimed at low income families. Medicare seems to be for the elder and those with extreme medical conditions such as kidney failure.