All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prescription co-pays
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:56 pm 

Until recently, I didn't have to pay co-pays on my medications for myself or the kids. Thankfully, the kids prescriptions are still free. However, they are now charging me co-pays for mine. Is this normal across the board or are there medicaid plans where the state still pays for the whole prescription?

Post subject: Re: Prescription co-pays
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:34 pm 

Normally adults will have a co-pay for prescriptions purchased through any Medicaid plan while those under 18 do not. There are special circumstances where you won't always have to pay the co-pay but this can vary from state to state. Typically these are waived for women who are pregnant or who are under 21 but there are others situations possible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:32 pm 

I think you will find that co-pays are the standard in just about every state. Where I am anyone who is not pregnant and over 21 will have a co-pay unless they are under a disability plan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 pm 

I find it interesting that your kids' prescriptions are free based on the other responses to your post. It would seem that they'd have to be over 18 for that, but once they are 18 don't they become independents and have to take care of their own prescriptions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm 

Most Medicaid plans cover while the child still lives at home and is a student which is why the age goes to 21 as many who go to college can still be covered by the parent's insurance. Medicaid plans tend to go along with the requirements normal to private plans in this type of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:23 pm 

Medicaid where I am has gone up a bit on co-pays as of January. It's not a huge amount, but they went fro $1 to $2 for generics which is mostly what ends up ordered anyway. The total for the year remains the same though so overall it's not much of a rise.