All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What isn't 'covered?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm 

Hospice care can be fairly complicated. I wondered if there are some hospice services that wouldn't be covered by Medicare?

Post subject: Re: What isn't 'covered?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:46 am 

What kind of services are you thinking of? It's true that the policy as stated in the manual is really general about hospice care, simply stating that a patient is "covered" as long as a doctor predicts that they have less than six months to live...I don't see many specifics. Are there specific services you have in mind?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:38 pm 

Some of the things that I know are covered by medicare hospice are things like: physician services, nursing care, short term inpatient respite care, medical supplies and home health aide services. There is more that medicare hospice covers but you would have to contact medicare just to double check if the services you are seeking are covered by your plan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 am 

Does medicare cover any kind of in home hospice care? In our area that is one option availbable for hospice care, a hospice care nurse comes to your home once or twice a day to help out and provide support to the patient and family. Would this type of service be covered under medicare or would this be considered home health care?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:08 pm 

Yes sheilam I would think that this is the kind of hospice care that you would be able to get covered by Medicare but you will have to check with your providers first, just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:03 am 

Is in home hospice care a common practice? I don't know of any one who offers that in my area and thankfully I don't need it. That sounds really nice for those that do though being able to be treated in their own home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:41 pm 

There are hospice services in my area that provide home care options for those who choose to spend their final days in their own house. I don't know if in-home services are covered by Medicare, though.