All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What made you decide to go with Hospice?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:52 pm 

Just wondering what made you select Hospice for your parent/parents. I'm not sure about doing this but I know at some point, I might not have a choice.

Post subject: Re: What made you decide to go with Hospice?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm 

My grandma passed away in January and my mom and her siblings had her put into a hospice care facility. It was a hard decision that they had to make but they just couldn't give my grandma the care she needed at their homes. She had a stroke and needed round the clock care, something that they just could not do since they all work and have families. Plus their homes were not equipped with the supplies needed like a hospital bed, oxygen, monitors, and medications. She was very ill and it was only fair to them and her to admit her into a hospice care facility. She was only in the facility for 6 days before she passed away. It was a hard time for all of us and it still is. When you make the decision, you have to think of everything: Work schedules, are you trained to care for that person, is your home equipped to care for that person, can you handle it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 pm 

Hospice workers are specially trained and experienced in caring for and dealing with terminally ill patients during their last days. They can provide the care that family is usually not trained for and not equipped to give.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 pm 

I know we put our mother into the hospice program of the local home health agency when we knew that her death was imminent. They were fantastic. She was able to stay at home and they provided her with anything that she needed. My family of course provided the personal care but hospice brought all kinds of supplies, drugs and food supplements they thought she may need. I can't say enough good about the hospice program. I know if I was in that type of situation myself, I would want hospice to take care of me.