All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diabetic Shoes Coverage
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:12 pm 

Are diabetic shoes covered by Medicare? If so, how do I get them?

Post subject: Re: Diabetic Shoes Coverage
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 am 

Medicare Part B covers theraputic shoes for diabetics. Each year, you can either get one pair of depth-inlay shoes and 3 pairs of inserts OR one pair of custom-molded shoes (including inserts) if you can’t wear depth-inlay shoes because of a foot deformity, and 2 additional pairs of inserts.

To get these shoes, the doctor treating your diabetes must certify that you have diabetes, you are being treated under a comprehensive diabetes plan and need theraputic shoes/inserts because of diabetes, AND that you have either partial or complete foot amputation, past foot ulcers, calluses that could lead to foot ulcers, nerve damage because of diabetes with signs of problems with calluses, poor circulation, or a deformed foot.

Medicare also requires that a podiatrist or other qualified doctor prescribe the shoes and that a doctor or other qualified individual like a pedorthist, orthotist, or prosthetist fit and provide the shoes.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 pm 

All are covered under Medicare provided they meet the diabetic qualifications. Some of them are actually reviewed by Medicare and listed on their website. The shoes are reimbursed by Medicare up to $118 per pair including the doctor's charge for fitting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 pm 

My wife has to get them because she is diabetic and has nerve damage in her feet. Most places they are ugly as homemade sin but we found one place that has some pretty ones. She wasn't going to get them until we found the ones she likes. Now she says her feet feel much better than before. I was worried she would wind up with foot ulcers like a friend of ours did. The friend had to have a partial foot amputation because of her diabetes and has been going down hill ever since then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:44 am 

I wouldn't really care how pretty they are when you consider the alternatives to wearing them. It's not all about appearances sake!

A friend wears them, and I've always been a touch jealous about how often he gets new shoes :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 pm 

That is really good to know. My mother is diabetic but she is not covered by medicare yet. I know that this will be a good benefit for her though once she is. Thanks for bringing that up gloriamatheson!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:16 pm 

GeorgeS wrote:
I wouldn't really care how pretty they are when you consider the alternatives to wearing them. It's not all about appearances sake!

Definitely agree with you on that one! While it's often nice to have more aesthetically pleasing medical apparel, I'm more of a "function over form" kind of person. I'd rather have the ugly shoes sooner than the pretty shoes later :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:25 pm 

Right! Not only that, ugly tends to be more comfortable it seems. I mean when you look at some of the flats compared to some of the suicide heels-what's the point? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:33 pm 

I was not aware of the coverage for special shoes. I am going to pass this information along to a couple of people that I know are also unaware of this. How often are the shoes covered? I know good shoes can last a while for an adult so there must be a time limit between pairs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:07 pm 

I have diabetes and am really having a time with my feet. I think I may have some nerve damage so I bet I would be eligible for these. I'll have to talk to my doctor the next time I go in to see her. How do you find out where to go after you have the prescription? Are there certain places you go?