All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Economic Cut Back
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:27 pm 

I was at my parents house the other day and I found out that my mother was re-using some of her diabetic supplies because she said that they cost too much. I told her that she cannot do this because it will lead to infections.

Has any body else noticed loved ones cutting back on medical supplies or drugs do to financial situations?

Post subject: Re: Economic Cut Back
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:04 am 

Unfortunately, this has been going on for a long time. The costs associated with many of the needed items continues to go up while those on a fixed income may get a 5% cost of living increase - if they're lucky. I would try making some calls to see if you can get your mother some assistance with these things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 am 

I have not done this myself but I know people who have and also people who will start taking their needed medications every other day instead of every day to try to cut back on costs. This is a very dangerous and unhealthy practice and should be discouraged.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am 

This is so sad and oldbroad is right if they are lucky they might get a 5% increase when the cost of everything has gone up so much more than that. Surely there must be some kind of programs out there to help reduce the cost of medical supplies to those on a fixed income.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:06 am 

Its no different than reusing catheters, or other things that should be sterile. Its horrible that it happens, but is neither new nor uncommon.