All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Doesn't Medicare cover....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 pm 

Alcohol prep pads, syringes or lancets necessary to test your blood sugar? It seems rather short sighted to pay for a monitor when they won't pay for the alcohol prep pads and the lancets you use to prick your finger to get the blood to test on the monitor. Government is so messed up if you ask me.

Post subject: Re: Why Doesn't Medicare cover....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 pm 

According to page four on this booklet about Diabetes coverage by Medicare (http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11022.pdf), Medicare Part B actualy does cover "lancet devices and lancets." I don't know if alcohol prep pads count as "lancet devices," but it really seems as if Part B is set up to provide as much coverage in these supplies as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:06 pm 

I'm glad you knew where to find it, shan. I know my sister gets all of her diabetic supplies covered but I wasn't sure exactly how and I'm not sure if prep pads count. Her strips and lancets she gets through a mail order company though and Medicare covers it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:26 am 

I still don't understand why syringes are not covered as part of the diabetic supplies. Anyone who needs insulin must have syringes to inject the medication. I can't believe that they think they could be reused.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:01 pm 

I think syringes are covered under the Part D if I'm not mistaken. I know I don't have any trouble getting mine from the pharmacy. And if I run out, I can just go buy more as long as I get my insulin in the same pharmacy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:16 pm 

Yes, it does seem strange that these are normal items you would need to check your blood sugar and they are not covered, it doesn't make since to cover only part of the supplies that a person will need to care for themselves.