All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cosmetic Dentistry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:02 pm 

Is cosmetic dentistry covered under medicare or are they excluded as elective procedures.

Post subject: Re: Cosmetic Dentistry
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:35 am 

I'm fairly certian that cosmetic dentistry isn't covered; it appears that the only dental work Medicare will cover is any dental work deemed necessary due to some other covered procedure. Dental work in and of itself is not covered, but Medicare will cover dental work that is necessary to prep for a covered procedure or which is neessary due to some issue caused by a covered procedure.

I think the only case where Cosmetic Dentistry would be covered, then, would be if some covered procedure such as jaw surgery caused the need for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:09 pm 

Medicaid will cover many elective dental procedures such as retainers, braces and caps but mostly just for children. It's hard to get regular dental coverage let alone the cosmetic types but you could look around for a gap plan as a filler? Some of them may cover more dental procedures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:11 pm 

Medicare does not pay for dental plates or other dental devices. Routine dental care or most dental procedures such as cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions or dentures are also not covered by Medicare in my home state, Michigan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 am 

I think that it is fair to say that pretty much anything that has the word "Cosmetic" in it is not going to be covered. These guys want you to be healthy but they don't care so much if your chipped tooth shows at the dinner table.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 am 

oldtimer wrote:
I think that it is fair to say that pretty much anything that has the word "Cosmetic" in it is not going to be covered. These guys want you to be healthy but they don't care so much if your chipped tooth shows at the dinner table.

A skilled front office worker can figure out how to code so that things aren't billed under the "cosmetic" umbrella, but the dentist has to be able to express the treatment in a way that is compatible with the coding.

Since medicare doesn't cover dentistry, in most cases, the dentist would have to accept gap coverage, or you would need to draw money from a medical savings account, and benefit from the tax break, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:47 pm 

Good point DianaR.

I have never thought about the creative coding angle of this. I find it hard to get a doctor to do anything I want sometimes, so I can imagine getting this done may be a trick. But the tax break doesn't sound too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:50 pm 

Dental coverage in itself is hard to come by with Medicare, let alone cosmetic dentistry. Even in children I feel like this would be a losing battle to fight. Better off seeing if you can find a supplemental plan that will work with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:39 pm 

Even regular private insurance doesn't often cover cosmetic procedures. Since Medicare provides for very little dental related coverage, they surely won't cover this. I wish they covered necessary dental let alone cosmetic.