All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dental Coverage?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 am 

I'm a little confused. I was under the impression that Medicare didn't offer dental, or at least, didn't offer anything substantial in the area of dental coverage. Apparently I'm mistaken. What kind of dental coverage does Medicare offer, even if it is limited?

Post subject: Re: Dental Coverage?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:46 am 

Shan wrote:
I'm a little confused. I was under the impression that Medicare didn't offer dental, or at least, didn't offer anything substantial in the area of dental coverage. Apparently I'm mistaken. What kind of dental coverage does Medicare offer, even if it is limited?

Medicare doesn't pay for dental care (or hearing aids or eyeglasses) because there is a statutory national coverage policy not to. What Medicare will cover, though, is dental work needed as a result of other covered issues, such as a dental exam prior to a kidney transplant, extraction of teeth to prepare the jaw for radiation treatment due to cancer, or any dental work needed as a result of these procedures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 am 

Are there supplemental plans that cover dental work?

If not, it sounds like one might be better off having their teeth pulled and opting for dentures, to cut the need for cleanings after they start receiving Medicare!

I wonder how many people exercise this option?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am 

That's quite a scary thought! I wonder why there is a national statute against dental work, eyeglasses, and hearing aids? As far as I understand, it would take an act of Congress to change a national statute. What is the reasoning behind excluding this coverage?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 pm 

Because the cost would be astronomical. But then that's what everyone thought when they started the drug coverage. The only thing is, I have wound up paying more for drug coverage than I used to spend for drugs. I think I would be better off going for the $4 prescription plans some stores offer rather than renew my drug coverage. The only thing is you have to have drug coverage according to Medicare. There is no dropping it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 pm 

You cannot always get the $4 generics. When you need a very expensive drug suddenly then you see the value of the plans, but you have to take a gamble on whether or not you will cash out on a coverage plan.

The dental issues really make little sense. Yes the costs are high but then so is the cost to people's health when they suffer abscess after abscess because of rotten teeth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:08 pm 

I know here in Michigan that Medicare does not cover routine dental care or most dental procedures such as cleanings, fillings, tooth extractions or dentures. I know under Medicare A is you are in an emergency room and need complicated dental procedures done that that may be the one time that dental is covered by Medicare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:13 am 

So what are people supposed to do to take care of their teeth? Are there any reasonably priced private plans that we can opt into?

Otherwise I agree that extraction sounds attractive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:02 am 

I live in Ga and here at the local senior center several local dentists come in a couple of times a month and perform routine dental work for free. I don't know if this is something that happens a lot of places but it's certainly worth checking into. There are also some dental clinics in the area that cost based on your income.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:07 pm 

We would have to lobby our Senate and House representatives to try to get the law changed. That is the only way this would change. Dental colleges do have a low cost program if you want to get dental care done by students. Otherwise, you're on your own as far as dental coverage is concerned. You can find dental insurance but it is usually costly and has limited coverage.