All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What About Prosthodontics and Implants?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:38 pm 

I imagine that I will probably have at least a partial plate in my mouth by the middle of next year, but wonder if Medicare will cover implants instead, since they would be more secure?

Does anyone know?

Post subject: Re: What About Prosthodontics and Implants?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 am 

As far as I know, Medicare doesn't even cover the dentures let alone implants which are much more costly. Some of the Medicare Advantage plans cover dental services but you would have to check with the individual plans to see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm 

This is sticky. Generally, medicare doesn't cover dental care. There are exceptions however, Part A and Part B will pay for some dental procedures, or your Advantage plan may have dental benefits included. Check your plan or call your provider to see what's included and what's not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:18 pm 

There are many Health care services that are not covered by Medicare such as dental, cosmetic surgery, hearing aids and many more. Medicare will cover some dental services if you have Medicare private health plans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:55 pm 

I have the same problem. I had to put a partial on my credit card, because Medicare would not pay for it. I hated the partial. I couldn't eat with it, it made me talk like Elmer Fudd. I had to take it out to eat and eventually lost it. I think I probably put it in a napkin while eating and accidentally threw it away. So, I have been looking into getting implants. My teeth were weaken considerably as a result of chemo and I have lost two of my front teeth.

But, Medicare will not pay for a new partial or for the implants. The only way Medicare will pay for dental work is if it is an emergency while you are in the hospital. For example, if you had an accident or had a complicated dental situation that was affecting your health and needed dental surgery while you were in the hospital Medicare Plan A would cover it. Otherwise, you are just out of luck. I am sorry, I don't have better news. I do wish you the best, though.

Last edited by Ariana on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:39 pm 

While this isn't ideal, most dentists have some sort of payment arrangement for expensive services like implants and dentures. You end up paying more due to interest but at least you could set up affordable payments that will enable you to get the work you need.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:41 pm 

My dentist told me it was going to be $3,000 a tooth to do implants. Of course, that is just unrealistic to me. Also, I am not very comfortable with the idea of them drilling into my bones and cementing teeth into them. He did give me another option. He told me they could put a bridge in across the front of my mouth, instead. They would drill down my good teeth in between the missing ones and end up replacing six teeth instead of two. I don't like that idea either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:40 am 

Ariana wrote:
My dentist told me it was going to be $3,000 a tooth to do implants. Of course, that is just unrealistic to me. Also, I am not very comfortable with the idea of them drilling into my bones and cementing teeth into them. He did give me another option. He told me they could put a bridge in across the front of my mouth, instead. They would drill down my good teeth in between the missing ones and end up replacing six teeth instead of two. I don't like that idea either.

Oh I didn't mean individual teeth, but dentures that snap into about 4 snaps embedded in the gums.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:46 am 

Thank you Diana, for the link to all that great information. I didn't realize there are so many options available. It was very helpful and I will use it to make my decision.