All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If Disability is Approved?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm 

I will probably have to start the process of applying for disability this coming year, but hve no clue what will hapen with my healthcare coverage.

Does one qualify for Medicare automatically if they receive disability, or is that a separate issue requiring another set of steps?

Post subject: Re: If Disability is Approved?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm 

DianaR wrote:
I will probably have to start the process of applying for disability this coming year, but hve no clue what will hapen with my healthcare coverage.

Does one qualify for Medicare automatically if they receive disability, or is that a separate issue requiring another set of steps?

Hi DianaR:

If your disability has been approved for 24 months, you will be automatically entitled to both Medicare Part A and B on your 25th month. That's automatic. You should be receiving your card 3 months before your entitlement date.

If you have any questions about the enrollment process or anything with regards to enrollment, you might want to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 pm 

Just checking to make sure I understand. Until the 25th month of being approved on disability you are not eligible for medicare? Or is it a case by case basis?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:55 am 

darwin wrote:
DianaR wrote:

Hi DianaR:

If your disability has been approved for 24 months, you will be automatically entitled to both Medicare Part A and B on your 25th month. That's automatic. You should be receiving your card 3 months before your entitlement date.

If you have any questions about the enrollment process or anything with regards to enrollment, you might want to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213

Does this 24 months time range mean that people have to reapply for disability on a regular basis?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:52 pm 

DianaR wrote:
darwin wrote:
DianaR wrote:

Hi DianaR:

Does this 24 months time range mean that people have to reapply for disability on a regular basis?

As far as I know disability benefits are computed according to your expected lifelong earnings, so you will continue to receive that and will not have to reapply once you're approved.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm 

Haven't heard of reapplication when a disability has been approved. I could be wrong though. What I do know is that even if your disability worsens, you cannot apply for a higher SS or medicare benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:10 pm 

Is this true Melinda? That just doesn't seem right especially with the high cost of health care. How would you ever know if your condition would be worse later? I mean should you try to pay the bills yourself in case God forbid you needed to apply for a higher benefit later?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:40 am 

If your disability is approved, you automatically qualify for Medicaid, or your state's variety of welfare health coverage, but not for Medicare.

Medicare had an entirely different set of qualifications and a whole different application process.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 am 

I too am needing to sign up for disability but it's for my 7 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD and a Learning Disability. Can I sign him up for Medicare before his school is done with the IEP testing or should I wait for that report to sign up?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:55 pm 

If you are back dated and had applied for disability coverage 24 months ago, you can be approved for Medicare right away. However, if you apply and are awarded SSD, you will have to wait until the 25th month until you are eligible for Medicare. It does seem sort of quirky to have a disability and not have medical coverage for 24 months but that is the way the law is written.