All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How Do I Add Medicare Part B?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:08 am 

My Dad has Medicare A only and no part B coverage. How do I help him get part B benefits so he can qualify for an electric medicare scooter?

Post subject: Re: How Do I Add Medicare Part B?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am 

You can only apply for Part B during your initial enrollment period which starts 3 months before your 65th birthday to four months after or during the annual enrollment period from Jan. 1 to March 31st. The coverage doesn't start until July 1 after signing up, at least during the general enrollment period annually. There are exceptions if your dad was still working during his initial enrollment but you should check with the SSA.

Post subject: Re: How Do I Add Medicare Part B?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:24 pm 

Oh. There are three ways to add Medicare Part B. First is to apply for it with your original medicare application. To add it however:

During the general enrollment period, which is within January 1 - March 31, your Part B coverage will start on July 1, and your premium may go up to 10% for each year that you could have availed of it but didn't.

OR if your dad had a group health plan coverage through his employer or union, you can avail of Part B's special enrollment period. He can sign up anytime if he's still covered by the health plan, or within 8 months after the coverage ends. If your dad has been terminated, or will be terminated, he can apply for it when his employment ends.

In any case, more information may be obtained from the Social Security Administration. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Darwin