All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can a person appeal a Medicare decision?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:25 pm 

My elderly aunt was recently hospitalized for several days due to her diabetes. Several things were denied payment from Medicare but she says these services were covered for previous hospitalizations. How do we go about filing some sort of appeal to this decision?

Post subject: Re: Can a person appeal a Medicare decision?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:33 pm 

Each Medicare plan has a different method of filing appeals, but it is possible under every plan. Since this is a hospitalization, I'm going to assume that you're talking about original Medicare plan coverage. To file an appeal, look on the back of the Explanation of Medicare Benefits or Medicare Summary Notice that is mailed to you from a company that handles bills for Medicare. The notice will tell you why your bill was not paid and provide information about how to file an appeal on it. Also ask your doctor or provider about any information about the bill that may be helpful for your case.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Post subject: Re: Can a person appeal a Medicare decision?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 pm 

You can file an appeal if you feel that you were charged for something that you shouldn't have been. I would call your Medicare representative and talk to them. If you are having a hard time figuring out who to contact your representative can talk you through the process.